The County Standard of Suffolk
The Standard is swallow-tailed in shape and measures just over two metres in length. The first segment contains the Trefoil – the symbol of the G.G.A.
The second segment has a book crossed by two lilies representing the “Red Book of Eye”, an illuminated book of the Gospels supposed to have belonged to St. Felix. St Felix established the See of East Anglia at Dunwich c632, and the Priory at Eye was granted all the churches of Dunwich as part of it’s foundation endowment. Some time before c1300 the Red Book, so called because of it’s red leather outer binding, was removed to Eye Priory, but disappeared after the suppression of the Priory in 1537. Then follows the banner with the Guide’s motto “Be Prepared”.
In the third segment there is a ship, which represents the links Suffolk has with the sea and the port of Ipswich.
The banner dividing the third and fourth segments reads “1910 Jubilee 1960”.
The fourth segment shows the Martyr’s Crown (note the arrows, the cause of death) of St. Edmund. This represents the link with the Cathedral at Bury St. Edmund’s where St. Edmund’s remains were finally interred about 1097,having been first buried in a small chapel near Hoxne, where he is reputed to have been killed, by the Danes in 869ad. There are eight golden Suffolk keys – the County badge of the Suffolk Girl Guides, for the eight Divisions in existence in 1960, when the Standard was made to celebrate 50 years of Guiding. There are now nine Divisions since Ipswich was divided into Ipswich East and Ipswich West.